|Title||Raleigh Court United Methodist Church|
|Dates of Creation||circa 1955|
|Scope & Content||
An unused color postcard of Raleigh Court United Methodist Church located at 1706 Grandin Road SW in Roanoke, Virginia. This postcard was published by Roanoke Photo Finishing Company.
The following was taken directly from the church's website, http://rcumc.info/history.html -- "The Raleigh Court United Methodist Church began around 1920 in what is now the Grandin Village area. The first church meetings were held in the old Masonic Hall, currently an architect's office, next to Reid's Fine Furniture. The congregation grew and was able to build a sanctuary on the corner of Windsor and Grandin Roads in 1924. Growth was rapid and an education building was added shortly after the sanctuary. We still occupy these buildings. Many of our first members were employees of the railroad, then called Norfolk & Western. The church grew as more and more homes were built in the Raleigh Court neighborhood.
In 1959 the church added a new kitchen and social hall. In 1999, the sanctuary was renovated adding a new entrance/gathering area and an elevator. At that time wiring and other infrastructure items were replaced.
Our current members live throughout the Roanoke Valley and some drive in from surrounding counties."
|Year Range from||1950|
|Year Range to||1960|
Doors & doorways
Religious architectural elements
Roanoke Photo Finishing Co., Inc.
|Collection||History Museum of Western Virginia|
|Number of images||2|
|Extent of Description||1-postcard, 3 1/2" x 5 1/2"|