|Title||New Grammar School|
|Dates of Creation||1913|
|Scope & Content||
A color postcard of the "New Grammar School" in Roanoke, Virginia. This building is actually the Lee Junior High School on Franklin Road. The school was torn down to make room for the Poff Federal Building.
The following narrative is taken from the book "History of Roanoke County," by George S. Jack and Edward B. Jacobs, page 106:
"The Central Grammar School which is now under construction and will be open for the 1912 term is located on a tract of land comprising something more than an acre of ground fronting on Commerce Street at its junction with Franklin Road This is an intermediate school between the primary and the High School and will contain twenty nine class rooms above the basement with a seating capacity of forty to forty five each."
|Year Range from||1913|
|Year Range to||1913|
Salem Post Card Company
|Collection||History Museum of Western Virginia|
|Number of images||2|
|Extent of Description||1-postcard, 3 1/2" x 5 1/2"|