|Title||American Legion Auditorium|
|Dates of Creation||circa 1923|
|Scope & Content||A color postcard of the American Legion Auditorium in Roanoke, Virginia. The building was built in 1916 and was located across from the N&W passenger station, now additional parking for the Hotel Roanoke. The American Legion acquired the former city auditorium in 1947 and provided needed upgrades. Unfortunately the building burned in 1957.|
|Year Range from||1916.0|
|Year Range to||1930.0|
Doors & doorways
Asheville Post Card Co.
American Legion Auditorium
The "white border" era, named for obvious reasons, lasted from about 1916 to 1930. The "linen card" era lasted from about 1931 to the early 1950s, when cards were primarily printed on papers with a textured surface similar to linen cloth. The last and current postcard era, which began about 1939, is the "chrome" era, however these types of cards didn't begin to dominate until about 1950. The images on these cards are generally based on colored photographs, and are readily identified by the glossy appearance given by the paper's coating.
On March 1st, 1907 the Post Office allowed private citizens to write on the address side of a postcard. It was on this date that postcards were allowed to have a "divided back".
|Collection||History Museum of Western Virginia|
|Number of images||2.0|
|Extent of Description||1-postcard, 3 1/2" x 5 1/2"|