|Title||Jefferson High School|
|Scope & Content||
A color postcard of Jefferson High School in Roanoke, Virginia, circa 1934.
Originally constructed in 1922, Jefferson High School served as Roanoke's largest high school for half a century. In 1919 the School Board began plans to build Jefferson High and the site on Campbell Avenue was purchased for $147,000 in 1922. Architect H. Coursy Richards employed a Tudor Revival-style popular at the time and Jefferson High School opened its doors to 1,000 students in 1924. The first class to graduate was in 1925 and the last in 1974. From 1924 to 1974 the school graduated over 19,000 students.
|Year Range from||1930|
|Year Range to||1940|
Jefferson High School
Asheville Post Card Co.
|Collection||History Museum of Western Virginia|
|Number of images||2|
|Extent of Description||1-postcard, 3 1/2" x 5 1/2"|