|Title||St. John's Episcopal Church|
|Dates of Creation||circa 1915|
|Scope & Content||
A color postcard of St. John's Episcopal Church in Roanoke, Virginia postmarked July 1937 and printed by J. P. Bell Printing in Lynchburg, Virginia.
"Charles M. Burns of Philadelphia designed St. John’s Episcopal Church. Construction on the church began in 1891 and was completed in 1892. The Church is constructed of quarry-faces limestone from Pulaski County, Virginia and of red sandstone from Prince William County, Virginia.
St. John’s Church began as a small church, which served most of the central Roanoke Valley. The rapid growth of the Roanoke area saw the church out grow the small building and the current church was built and dedicated in 1892. St. John’s grew to become the largest Episcopal parish in Southwest Virginia and in 1919 it became the home to the Episcopal Diocese of Southwest Virginia.
Today, St. John’s Church is home to a large congregation made up of some of Roanoke’s most influential civic leaders. St. John's Episcopal Church is a Virginia Historic Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places."
Source/Credit: The Virginia Department of Historic Resources
|Year Range from||1910|
|Year Range to||1920|
Doors & doorways
St. John's Episcopal Church (Roanoke)
Bell Printing Company
|Collection||History Museum of Western Virginia|
|Number of images||2|
|Extent of Description||1-postcard, 3 1/2" x 5 1/2"|